Newquay mature dating


The town is bounded to the west by the River Gannel and its associated salt marsh, and to the east by the Porth Valley.Newquay has been expanding inland (south) since the former fishing village of New Quay began to grow in the second half of the nineteenth century.



Other growth areas have been on the fringes of St Columb Minor and also towards the Gannel.The three churches were also built soon after 1901.The arms of the urban district council of Newquay were Or on a saltire Azure four herrings respectant Argent.Post-war development saw new houses and streets built in the Chester Road area, accompanied by ribbon development along the country lane which led to St Columb Minor, some 2 miles (3 km) away.

This thoroughfare was modernised and named Henver Road, also some time in the 1930s.

When the village was first occupied is unknown but it is not mentioned in the Domesday Book although a local house (now a bar known as "Treninnick Tavern") is included.